You may not realize it, but the ducts in your home could be stealing money from you each day. You pay to cool the air with your AC system, but before that air reaches you, up to 30% of it can escape through leaks or breaches along the ducts. So for every hundred dollars you spend to cool your home’s air, you’re basically throwing away thirty dollars because of bad ducts.
The way to stop this thief hiding in the walls and ceilings of your home is to schedule professional duct sealing in Zebulon, NC with our experts. Using the best modern tools, we’ll seal up all the leaks so you have an airtight ventilation system again and an AC system restored to its best energy efficiency.
Find Out About Those Hidden Duct Leaks
But first, you have to know there’s a problem. Since you can’t see most of the ductwork, you’ll have to rely on clues like the following to warn you that it’s time to call our team.
- Elevated cooling (or heating) bills: This isn’t always the easiest to notice, even though it’s one of the biggest disadvantages of leaky air ducts. The air loss will gradually increase and you may not catch that it’s happening. Make a comparison of your monthly utility bills to previous ones to see if there’s an unexplained rise. Even if it doesn’t end up being the fault of duct leaks, it’s still something you’ll be glad you got to the bottom of.
- Rattling noises in the ventilation system: As conditioned air passes through the ductwork, temperature changes cause the ducts to expand. If the ducts have leaks along them because of loose sections, these changes in size will create a rattling noise.
- Musty and moldy odors: Duct leaks open onto areas of the house that can contain stale, damp, and even moldy air. This air will be drawn into the ventilation system and then out into the rooms, creating a noticeably unpleasant odor.
- Drop in airflow: If you notice that the airflow from room vents is dropping, one possibility is that the air pressure inside the vents has fallen because of duct leaks. If any of the rooms feel hotter than usual when the air conditioner is running, check on the vents to see if it’s due to a decline in airflow.
- AC compressor runs too frequently: If too much cooled air is escaping out of duct leaks, it will force the AC to run longer and longer to make up for what is lost. If the AC compressor seems to be putting in more work than normal rather than regularly cycling down, have HVAC technicians find out the cause—leaking ducts are only one possibility.
Professional Duct Services
Even if you don’t notice duct leak signs, we recommend having your ductwork tested every few years so you can catch onto troubles early. Duct testing will tell you if your ventilation system is losing air pressure to leaks and help the professionals find the best way to repair any problems.
Schedule ductwork services with Comfort Master Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. We serve the Triangle Area of North Carolina.