Skip navigation

Menu

Defending Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Any home that uses natural gas as an energy source—whether for an oven, stove, dryer, furnace, or boiler—needs to take some precautions regarding carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s especially a concern during the winter season, when gas-powered furnaces (the most common type of heating system in North America) will put in extensive use. We’d like to address the dangers of carbon monoxide and how you can defend against it to keep your family safe this winter.

What Carbon Monoxide Is

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is a byproduct of incomplete fuel combustion. People often confuse natural gas with CO. Carbon monoxide can result from the burning of natural gas. In fact, it can result from the burning of any fuel source, including wood. But the most common reason for CO poisoning in homes is due to natural gas-combusting appliances such as the furnace. CO poisoning causes headaches, nausea, dizziness, vomiting; and prolonged exposure can cause death.

Protecting Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

  • Place CO detectors in your home. These devices, which you can purchase at any home supply store, will alert you when CO levels rise too high. They run on batteries and should be tested routinely to make sure they are working correctly. Place a CO detector near the furnace and in every room where people sleep. If the alarms go off, evacuate the house immediately and call a local service.
  • Make sure the furnace receives an annual fall inspection from a professional. This inspection is part of routine maintenance that also ensures the furnace will run at its best during the year.
  • Always have any repairs necessary for your gas furnace taken care of as soon as you notice them. Shut off the gas first and then call for our professional furnace repair technicians.

Comfort Master Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. offers quality heating services to Zebulon, NC and the surrounding areas.

Comments are closed.